Have you noticed more face breakouts lately? According to Jefferson Hospital’s Dr. Nazanin Saedi (doctorsaedi.com), it could be on account of your mask. “Masks can be hard on your skin, causing problems that range from acne to rashes and itchiness,” she says, adding that sweat, oil and makeup combined with humidity create ideal breeding grounds for breakouts. Here, she gives tips on how to prevent maskne.
1. Wash your face with a gentle cleanser. Avoid products that are too drying because they will cause the skin barrier to become more compromised.
2. Don’t wash your face too frequently. By overwashing, you are also stripping the natural oils from your skin.
3. Don’t wear makeup! It just causes more dirt and oils to be trapped in the mask and can cause breakouts.
4. Moisturize your skin. I recommend products with hyaluronic acid and ceramides. Hyaluronic acid helps keep the skin hydrated and ceramides help strengthen the skin barrier.
5. Take it easy on products that can cause skin irritation such as aftershave or retinoids. I suggest using a lower strength retinoid.
6. If you are wearing a cloth mask, wash it daily. If you are wearing a disposable mask, try to replace it as often as possible or allow it to air out in between uses.
Photography by: PeopleImages / iStock.com