On August 2-3, 2014, The Pier Shops at Caesars will play host to Wilhelmina Philadelphia and their Pop-Up at the Shore event. The event will showcase 12 local designers from the Philadelphia Fashion Incubator along with their respective lines. We caught up with Incubator’s executive director, Elissa Bloom, about what to expect from the showcase.
What's the idea behind Pop-Up at the Shore? ELISSA BLOOM: The idea is for our designers to sell their collections in a temporary setting. Each designer will have their own space within the store to merchandise their unique brands and collections. They will have an opportunity to have a one-on-one experience with their customer in a retail setting.
How did the idea come about?When did you jump on board? EB: The idea for the Pop-Up at the Shore came after looking toward targeting new audiences and markets for our designers. Wilhelmina approached us to partner on this event, and we thought it would be fun to "take the designers on the road," so they can meet a new customer base and gain further exposure of their brands.
What can people expect from this year's event? EB: People can expect a wide assortment of high quality and unique womenswear and accessories that capture the essence of the rising Philadelphia fashion scene. Feminine dresses, hand-embroidered one of a kind jackets, custom-printed tops and pants, colorful childrenswear, and stainless steel accessories are just a sample of what customers will see this weekend—and products are handmade in the USA.
The event promotes the Fashion Fund. Tell us about it. EB: Wilhelmina Philadelphia has created a local fashion fund to help foster and inspire the city's growing creative class of designers, craftsmans, retailers, and other unique out-of-the-box thinkers, makers, and doers.
Bloom shares her thoughts on present and past Incubator Designers who will be participating in the Pop-Up:
1. "Gabrielle Mandel'sSupra Endurais a line of womenswear inspired by social art. Each of her artistically crafted patterns represent a non-profit close to the brand, and Supra Endura donates portions of the proceeds from sales to the nonprofit."
2. "Jovan O’Connor features a dynamic collection of statement pieces designed for the social butterfly. Combining bold colors and prints with intriguing style lines and silhouettes, the line best suits the woman who is not afraid to make a statement."
3."Rebeca Imperiano with her self-titled brand draws inspiration from her background in architecture. Her line strives to bring art, design, and fashion together in a contemporary manner for a sophisticated, urban, and cosmopolitan woman."
4. "Sherill Mosee and her line of handbags known as MinkeeBlue. MinkeeBlue’s patent pending utility design features a 2-in-1 handbag and adjustable compartment system, eliminating the need to carry two, three, or four bags at a time. Mosee has created a fashionable handbag for busy professional women whose role changes throughout the day—caregiver, employee, traveler, and fitness enthusiast."
5."Terese Sydonna is a contemporary ready-to-wear and made-to-measure design company that uses art and draping techniques to create elegant, sexy, and sophisticated designs for the modern woman. The brand offers an assortment of jackets, tops, bottoms, dresses, and jumpsuits in both woven and knit fabrications that can be mixed-and-matched to create multiple looks that are easy and comfortable."
6. "Victoria Wright’s self-titled brand can be described as whimsical, feminine, sophisticated, and modern. With her amalgamation of diverse fabrics, unique hand worked embellishments, and vintage references, Victoria provides unique designs catering to the individuality of each woman’s style."
7. "Aso Damisi creates sophisticated and feminine silhouettes for the bold and modern woman using unique and vibrant African inspired textiles. The collections set to inspire every woman to embrace her femininity and to feel confident enough to wear bold, bright, and beautiful garments."
8."Granate Couture specializes in custom design for a range of clients, including bridal garments, tailoring, and costume pieces. Annina King’s designs are rooted in the richness of history, with classic shapes that accentuate the human form; yet they also rise above the expected norms with intriguing features that stretch the imagination and elevate the spirit."
9. "Senpai + Kohai deliver innovative, timeless clothing to complement the modern woman, with a focus on textiles, fit, quality, and design. Senpai + Kohai is created for women who value dressing as an art form and utilizes fair trade materials."
10. "Pretty Pretty Rebel is a fun, colorful, and whimsical childrenswear collection celebrating life and imagination designed by Leah Delfiner."